Forest School offers children an excellent opportunity for exploration and play.
Most activities within a Forest School programme are child-initiated, with the activity going in the direction that the child has chosen. The child may decide to work independently, developing their own creativity and problem-solving skills. They may however decide to join up with other children and work within a team. This benefits the child’s Social and Emotional development as they learn how to work with others, listening and sharing ideas.
A TAILORED FOREST SCHOOL EXPERIENCE
Surrey Hills Forest School can offer a tailored Forest School experience for the children within your setting. If you have access to a minibus there is the chance to see the Surrey Hills in their full glory, whilst playing in 147 Acres of woodland at Chantry Wood. If you don’t have vehicular access then Surrey Hills Forest School is able to make an appointment to measure up any outdoor space, and run Forest School programmes from your setting.
TYPICAL ACTIVITIES FOR NURSERIES
(Working with the Early Years Foundation Stage)
- Risk Taking – understanding of how to manage your own risk whilst using real life tools such as saws, coupled with considering your own risk of how to climb trees
- Understanding of the Natural Environment – How what we do and how we do it effects the environment around us
- Den Building- Working together to build dens, using large and small sticks
- Bug Hunting – Identifying bugs, and then drawing, or making clay representations
- Air-Dry Clay – Using clay to represent our imagination
- Natural Potion Making – Understanding different natural smells and textures to make potions
- Leaf/Tree Identification – Identifying different leaves by size, colour, texture
- Leaf Art – Using leaves to make pictures/artwork
- Fire Building – Fire building – Teaching children how to make a fire with care and attention to safety
- Problem Solving – Working together to solve simple problems
To find out more about what Surrey Hills Forest School can offer nurseries, please get in touch.